Experience and Skills matter .
How to choose a skin clinic.
Experience and Skills matter not just book work, qualifications and certificates as long as the arm can stretch !
We look at skin cancers every day. We can pick them out at a mile away !
We don’t do circus tricks to empress you that we have picked up a melanoma insitu or a tiny superficial basal cell carcinoma.
Choosing a skin clinic is difficult for the non medical person. Generally ” Excellent diagnostic and surgical skill are strong predictors of successful outcomes and associated with lower rates of re-operation, re-admission, and return visits. “
As a general rule newly graduated doctors tend to biopsy and order more pathology tests before embarking on treatment. As their clinical skill improves your diagnostic and treatment journey may be less convoluted and costly.
At Marsden skin cancer clinic and surgical we deal with surgical skin problems and skin cancer daily. We will advise you on the best treatment available for your condition based on your health status.
Consider the following when choosing a skin clinic.
- Relevance & appropriateness of experience. 95% of our work is surgical and skin cancer related so we are very good at it.
- Quality,Dexterity and Skill-fullness of the doctor is very important, particularly cosmetically sensitive areas such as the face and difficult to heal areas, like the leg.
- Broad range of available treatment options. Remember NOT ALL skin cancers need to be excised and stitched. A 2 mm basal cell carcinoma may only need a simple curettage or freezing NOT a 2 cm scar or a $750 light therapy ( which will only give you ~80 % cure rate)
At Marsden Skin Cancer Clinic
- Our doctors are highly skilled and qualified in skin cancer medicine and surgery.
- We use the services of reputable pathology labs with a team of expert skin-disease specialists to provide us with accurate and skilful reporting of your skin specimens.
- Our pathologists deal with more complicated skin diseases than skin cancers – Bcc, Scc and Melanoma. Whether it’s skin cancer or unusual skin growth or rash…You are in safe hands.
- Doctors working with us are independent and run their practices on our premises.
- You are able to request the Doctor of your choice
- Our service is ethical, caring and provided by highly skilled Doctors acting in the patients best interest.
- We do not do routine small-micro sized biopsies as they will give false negative results and therefore may miss true Melanomas.
- Our surgical fees are set with very reasonable out of pocket costs.
- You will not be asked to come back for frequent follow ups and for results. There are more important things you could do than visiting us every week !
- We offer education in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of skin cancer.
- We provide a scheduled appointment system that generally runs to time with the rare exception of an emergency appointment being allocated
Who requires a skin check?
- Everyone at risk should have an annual skin check due to the Australian climate.
- Any one with fair skin with lots of moles, freckles and/or family history of skin cancer
- Any one with a history of sun burn and a past or family history of skin cancer
- Any one with persistent rash or changed skin lesion especially if it has bled
What don’t we do?
- We do try and scare you !
- We do not do routine removal of non-threatening or non- dangerous moles for preventative care, unless you personally request removal for cosmetic/personal reasons.